Friday, January 25, 2013

                                                              
                                                             The Man With No Luck.


Once upon a time, long, long ago.  A time when all animals and plants spoke the same language and everyone understood everyone else.

There lived a man who was very sad, but why was he sad? Well, he believed he had no luck.  Whenever he dropped his toast it landed butter side down, whenever he went for a walk it rained and he got soaking wet, but as soon as he got back home, the sun came out.  He had no friends, no wife, and no money. In fact he thought he must be the most unlucky man that ever was.

One day, he got up out of bed and decided that the only thing to do was to go and ask god why he had no luck. God lived at the edge of the world and it would take the man a few days to get there (in them days it never took you that long to get anywhere).  He packed a few sandwiches and a drink for the journey into a bag and set off.  

He hadn’t travelled far when he heard a loud groaning noise coming from behind a bush, “who or what is that?” thought the man.  He went over to have a look and there behind the bush was a big old wolf.

“Hello, why are you groaning?” asked the man,

“I don’t feel well, I’ve had an awful pain in my stomach for the past week” replied the wolf, “But where are you going with a big bag on your back?” asked the wolf,

“Oh, I’m off to see god and I’m going to ask him or her why I have no luck” replied the man, “Anyway I can’t stand here talking to you all day so goodbye”,

“Wait” said the wolf, “When you see god will you ask a question for me?”,

“Certainly, what is it?” said the man,

“Ask god why I have such an awful pain in my stomach” said the wolf.

The man carried on his journey.  The sun was shining and it was very hot and soon the man felt tired and thirsty so seeing a lovely tree he decided to sit under its branches in the shade and have a little drink and a bit of a rest. As he sat with his back to the tree he heard groaning.

“Where is that coming from”, thought the man,

He looked to the left, nothing.  He looked to the right, nothing. He heard groaning again, it seemed to come from above, he looked up and do you know where the groaning was coming from? It came from the tree.

“What is wrong, why are you groaning?” the man asked the tree.

“It’s my roots” replied the tree, “I have terrible pains in them, but where are you going with a big bag on your back?”,

“Oh, I’m off to the edge of the world to see god and to ask him or her why I have no luck” said the man, “Anyway I can’t sit here talking to you all day so goodbye”,

“Wait”, said the tree, “When you see god will you ask a question for me?”,

“Certainly”, said the man, “What should I ask”,

“Ask god why I have such awful pain in my roots” said the tree.

The man carried on his journey and soon he heard another sound but this time it was the sound of crying.  He looked around and across the fields he saw a lovely little cottage.  He walked over to see where the crying was coming from.  Stood leaning over the half door (for in them days all cottages had half doors so you could let the light in but keep the chickens out), was the most beautiful young woman the man had ever seen.

“Hello” said the man, “Why are you crying”,

“I am sad, for I am lonely and have no company” said the woman, “Who are you? I’ve never seen such a handsome man as you before, where are you going with such a big bag on your back?”,

“Oh, I’m off to the edge of the world to see god and to ask him or her why I have no luck” said the man, “Anyway I can’t stand here talking to you all day so goodbye”,

“Wait” said the young woman, “When you see god will you ask a question for me?”,

“Certainly” said the man, “What is it?”

“Ask god why I am so sad and lonely” replied the woman.

Soon the man reached the edge of the world.  He looked over the edge and jumped back, it was very deep and very scary.  He couldn’t see god anywhere so he shouted out,

“GOD, Oh GOD, Where are you?”,

God suddenly appeared out of nowhere,

“What’s all the shouting for” said god, “Who are you and what do you want”,

“Hello god, sorry to disturb you” said the man (he had been reared properly so he was very polite), “I have a question to ask you, and I hope you will give me the answer” said the man,

“Well if you ask your question and I might” said god,

“Why do I have no luck?” said the man,

“Oh that’s easy” said god, “You do have luck, you just have to open your eyes and look for it instead of always complaining”,

“Fair enough” said the man, “Thank you and now I’m off home, goodbye god”.

The man had only gone a few meters when he remembered the other questions he had to ask. He went back to god and asked the three questions and received three answers. One for the young woman, one for the tree, and one for the wolf. Happily he set off back home.

Soon he came upon the cottage with the beautiful young woman still standing at the half door, still crying.  He walked over to her.

“Hello, I’m back from the edge of the world” said the man,

“Did you ask god my question and did he or she give you an answer?” asked the young woman,

“Yes, god said the reason why you are so sad and lonely is because you need to marry. Then you’ll have company, love, and friendship” said the man,

“Well, I’m young, beautiful, modest, and I have my own house. I have loads of land, sheep and cattle, and I’m a fantastic cook. Oh and by the way did I mention that I’m very modest? So how about you and me getting married?” said the woman.

“Oh I can’t marry you; I’m going to look for my luck” said the man, “Goodbye”,

Next, he came to the tree.

“Hello, I’m back from the edge of the world” said the man,

“Did you ask my question, and get my answer?” said the tree, with a groan,

“Yes, god said the reason you have a pain in your roots is because there is a huge treasure chest buried under your trunk and your roots have become trapped.  God said that if you dig it up then you’ll have no more pain” said the man,

“Well, I have no hands so I can’t dig it up but if you dig it up for me you may keep all the treasure for yourself” said the tree,

“Oh I can’t do that” said the man, “I haven’t got the time, and I’m off to find my luck. Goodbye”.

He walked a little further and there he saw the bush and behind the bush lay the wolf, still groaning.

“Hello” said the man, “I’m back from the edge of the world”

“Did you ask my question and get my answer? asked the wolf,

“Certainly did” said the man, “God said the reason why you have such terrible pains in your stomach is because you are starving with the hunger. He said you should eat the first fool that crosses you’re.........”

That’s the end of his story and the end of this story.

So you see, no matter how bad it seems it could always be worse.

Keep smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment